3.11.12

Silk Shaded Carrot

Silk Shading was the final technique I learned at RSN. Initially, I was not excited to learn this technique. It looked meticulous to stitch and I wasn't drawn to the final look. In the end, I loved it. After starting my piece I learned to appreciate how beautiful silk shading can be. This piece was the hardest and may be the one I'm most proud of. 

Silk shading is sometimes referred to as "painting with a needle." A final piece will have the natural appearance of the subject you've chosen. This happens by analyzing the colors and how they are shaded. I worked from a photograph pinned onto the side of my frame.  Silk shading is done using long and short stitch, which creates a seamless blend of colors. 
xo, Abby
p.s. The quote is from Bugs Bunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment