3.10.11

England and Needlework


Three weeks ago I arrived in England to study at the Royal School of Needlework for three months. As Dad and I flew over London at 6:00 am and the sky began to lighten, we could see from the plane windows a beautiful sunrise. Since that morning, I've been on an adventure. The Royal School of Needlework is actually in Hampton Court Palace. So each morning, I take a red bus to a palace, walk up a gravel drive, through dark corridors, past a fountain surrounded by baroque walls,  up a winding staircase to arrive at my classroom. And when I'm not too busy, I eat lunch in the gardens. It's good fun. 


The teaching is wonderful. I will be learning four embroidery techniques to get a Certificate Degree. The first, which I'm finishing today, is Jacobean Crewelwork. Crewelwork is embroidery worked in wool threads and Jacobean is the style of the embroidery. I'll be starting Canvaswork next, then Silk Shading, and Goldwork. While designing my piece I tried to think of flowers and animals that reminded me of home. At home there is a sunflower that keeps coming back every year next to one of our maple trees, which I actually didn't remember until after I had finished the design! So I thought the sunflower with maple leaves was very fitting and they're two things I love. 

Below are lots of photos of Hampton Court, my embroidery, and a couple other things. :)

I'll be taking more photos and updating! 
Love,
Abby

The sunset out the plane window




 Part of the front of Hampton Court Palace    




        The rose garden            
 

         The back of the Palace




The last two windows are the windows of my classroom 











The fountain I pass on my way to class





The door I go through to get to class



My crewelwork!










The stitch plan for my embroidery


Notes :)


The color plan



6 comments:

  1. Abby..this is amazing!! Your work is absolutely beautiful!! Can't wait to see it up close!

    Ps. I love love love the little door you walk through to get to class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Teresa!! I love the door too, it's so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,
    I'm so excited to see what you have been working on! The color palette is so vibrant and your stitching is really exceptional. Please continue to post lots of pictures including your sketches so we can see the whole process. Love it and so happy for you to have this opportunity.
    Love,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful!! We used to live in England and have been to Hampton Court Palace and it is so amazing. You are very lucky to be learning there. If you do quilting too there is a great quilting store right around the corner from there called Creative Quilting!! I miss the beauty of England!! Enjoy and thanks for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sunflower design is gorgeous! Do you sell the pattern for it?

    Thank you,

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Sandra! I do not sell this pattern. I've actually moved to a new website (www.abigailcecile.com) where I do have a few free patterns. I will be opening up a shop to sell my patterns within the next couple months. Thanks for the interest!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete