11.4.12

Canvaswork


Canvaswork, needlepoint in the U.S, was the second technique I learned at RSN. I was never in the slightest interested in needlepoint until I learned the technique and saw some beautiful examples of other students work. I guess I never really thought of it as an art form, but I found out it is and it's fun! The piece is a picture of my home. I took a photo and stylized it to look like American Folk Art. My inspiration came from the american folk artist, Mattie Lou O'Kelley. I love her work, it's so colorful! The clouds in the piece are what we now refer to as "Mattie Lou O'Kelley" clouds. In fact as I look out the window I can see some, dark and dramatic underside and bright white tops. It's beautiful in combination with a green field and dark trunks with a green haze surrounding them. I love the green of spring. Part of what I see in my home, growing up here, made it's way into the piece. I tried to combine several seasons in the picture. I love fall and the bright colors of the trees but I also love the bright yellow green of spring. Of the three pieces I completed at RSN this one is probably my favorite. Although, they're so different it's hard to say. 
I completed this piece and my silk shaded piece around the same time, just before I started for home  last December. I'll be posting a picture of my silk shaded carrot soon.
xo Abby

3 comments: